Our purpose is to provide a comprehensive solution to resolving problems related to structural abnormalities in the spine and nervous system, to allow your body to work at its highest capacity. We are proud to serve patients from all over Fairfield and New Haven County with our unique and gentle approach to health care.
Our focus is unique. Structural Optimization focuses on specifically addressing Structural Shifts in the spine that commonly cause secondary conditions such as back pain, neck pain, headaches, degeneration, sciatica, fibromyalgia, carpal tunnel, herniated discs, and ear infections as well as immune and digestive problems. Restoring and protecting your body’s normal structural alignment is of paramount importance in maintaining optimal health.
Dr. Peter Braglia has served people of all ages and many health conditions. Use our website to find the latest in health news in our blog, and find out if customized chiropractic care is right for you or your loved ones. Experience the Structural Difference.
This website continues to grow well beyond my expectations. The best part is, the growth has occurred entirely from the support of readers like you. A special thanks to each of you for sharing this website and the articles on it. But even more than that, thank you for sharing the life-changing message of natural health and chiropractic care.
Here’s a trip down memory lane of True Health’s top 10 blog posts viewed this year, judged by page views:
1. Is Your Spine In Line? Ever wonder how to tell if your spine is out of alignment. This post offers a look at 15 warning signs of an unhealthy spine.
2. Breastfeeding Is ‘Health, Not Lifestyle’ Choice This post includes a graphic that lists the benefits of breastfeeding as well as the role chiropractic care plays in optimal breastfeeding.
3. Sharpen Your Child’s Mind If your child is having difficulty concentrating at school, often seems lethargic, or is constantly frustrated with trying to learn, the following tips can help you address the cause and offer natural solutions.
4. The TrueHealth Grocery List This is a list of nutrient dense, fresh, whole (or in some cases minimally processed) foods which promote optimal health. The post includes a printable PDF version to bring with you on your next grocery trip.
5. Alkaline vs. Acidic Our body has a desired state of slightly alkaline, but most Americans eat a diet full of acid forming foods. Here is a basic list of alkaline and acidic foods as well as a detailed chart.
6. The Core Four This is an explanation of the four supplements that everyone (men, women, and children) should be taking. These are supplements that will actually improve your health and well-being if taken on a regular basis.
7. I Don’t Believe in Chiropractic There are many people out there that question the notion that chiropractic is a viable health care tool. This post takes a closer look at what chiropractic is.
8. Are Baby Carriers Good For the Spine? Many new parents are unsure as to how to carry their newborn, especially when it comes to how it may affect their developing spines. This post explores the best way to carry based on anatomy and neurology of the infant.
9. Lower Blood Pressure Naturally A chiropractic adjustment of C1 can significantly lower high blood pressure (This adjustment has the effect of not one, but two blood-pressure medications given in combination).
10. How to Beat Seasonal Allergies Naturally Seasonal allergies are far from normal, and the fact that they are so common means that many do not have an optimally functioning body. Here are some tips for beating allergies this and every spring without relying on pill popping
Whether you’ve been reading True Health for one week, one month, or since we started two years ago – thank you. This blog owes its success to the support of its readers.
I should start off by saying that I am not in any way, shape or form anti-supplement. Supplements are a great tool and they serve many people well, especially when used appropriately. But here’s what I don’t understand. People are slowly moving away from treating every minor ailment and condition with a prescription drug (which is great). However, many are replacing pharmaceuticals with natural supplements – which are sadly doing the same thing (albeit usually in a safer way). They are simply treating symptoms and covering up the problem, never truly getting to the cause.
As a chiropractor my viewpoint may be different. After all, our profession was founded on the idea of getting to the cause – we focus on creating health rather than managing disease. I would never associate health as something that could come out of a pill or bottle whether they were natural or not), but as something that is experienced from the inside-out. When it comes to nutrition – the right food turns on the right genes, and create biological signals that create health, while the wrong foods turn on genes that cause disease and create biological chaos.
With that being said, have you been in a health food store recently? Standing in line you can see people whose shopping cart is covered with no less than 30 boxes of different herbs, vitamins, and supplements of all kinds. B-complexes, Glucosamine, Licorice, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Ginko, Garlic, and St. John’s Wort just to name a few. While this is certainly an extreme example, it’s not as rare as you might think.
We have the power to determine how healthy our cells are by the choices we make with our bodies. Our bodies are equipped with an incredible ability to go towards health when it’s supplied with the right building materials. If your cells are like houses, the quality of the cell is dependent on the building materials which are found in our food.
Taking vitamins have become an extra job for some, here’s how to avoid it:Continue Reading
An image of a lowly iceberg. It looks so simple to simply steer around and bypass it on the way to smoother seas. But if our past was a good teacher, then we know that by only paying attention to the surface, we can miss a dangerous obstacle in the depths.
As long as we continue to exist in a healthcare system that only seeks to reduce symptoms, then we will continue to get the same results as those who only saw the tip of the iceberg.
Presently, however, physicians lack the training (and financial incentives) to help people learn how to eat healthy, exercise, stop smoking, avoid environmental toxins, or address the effects of structural abnormalities in the spine. So they continue to do what they know how to do: prescribe medication and perform surgery.
Our bodies are equipped with an incredible array of signals to let us know that something is wrong. Sometimes it comes in the form of a pain in the back, draining fatigue, or headaches. The purpose of these signals is to tell us that something is wrong, but it’s up to us to look within to identify the cause. Structural shifts of the spine that lead to neurological communication errors are often the underlying cause of some of the challenges that are preventing you from being your best.
Unless we look towards the body’s Innate healing capacity, and why it’s not operating at 100% full function, then we are missing the boat on the health challenges of millions of people. And there’s no amount of drugs, natural medicine, surgery, or insurance money that can save that ship from sinking.
We all know that exercise, clean eating, and proper supplementation can have a profound impact on our health. But what about our stress? If left unchecked, it can ruin your holidays and hurt your health.
The truth is that no amount of supplements or good nutrition could counteract the toxic effects of chronic, repetitive stress responses on the body – and the overload of cortisol and epinephrine that accompany these physiological “fight-or-flight” responses. Chronic stress has been found to increase the risk of anxiety, depression, digestive problem, heart disease, and sleep problems just to name a few.
In addition, it increases both the risk and duration of cold and flu symptoms substantially – not fun. However, when we are better able to adapt to these stress responses, the natural self-repair mechanisms of the body are able to go about the business of doing what they do best – heal the body. This is where chiropractic fits in. After all, balance is the key when we’re dealing with the nervous system.
When the spine shifts from it’s normal structure – there are 3 components involved: a misalignment of the vertebrae, which then causes fixation (the bone becomes stuck), which in turn leads to interference and stress placed on the nerve(s) in that area. We know now that this can cause the entire nervous system to go into a state of fight/flight – known as the sympathetic stress response.Continue Reading