Our purpose is to provide a comprehensive solution to resolving problems related to structural abnormalities in the spine and nervous system, to allow your body to work at its highest capacity. We are proud to serve patients from all over Fairfield and New Haven County with our unique and gentle approach to health care.
Our focus is unique. Structural Optimization focuses on specifically addressing Structural Shifts in the spine that commonly cause secondary conditions such as back pain, neck pain, headaches, degeneration, sciatica, fibromyalgia, carpal tunnel, herniated discs, and ear infections as well as immune and digestive problems. Restoring and protecting your body’s normal structural alignment is of paramount importance in maintaining optimal health.
Dr. Peter Braglia has served people of all ages and many health conditions. Use our website to find the latest in health news in our blog, and find out if customized chiropractic care is right for you or your loved ones. Experience the Structural Difference.
Essential fats are required fats we cannot make and therefore must consume from an outside source. One category of these fats found in fish oil – Omega 3 fats – are a must when it comes to optimal athletic performance. Here are some of the ways they can help you maximize your performance and get results.
Faster recovery: Omega-3 fatty acids are renowned for their anti-inflammatory properties. After a tough workout, you may feel sore or stiff, or you might experience swelling, redness or tenderness in certain areas. This is called inflammation, and it’s the body’s way of protecting itself. It can also slow down the body’s recovery process and tissue repair. Look for a supplement high in EPA, which is the essential fatty acid with the most anti-inflammatory properties.
Less soreness: Omega-3 assists blood flow to muscles during exercise, and some studies show supplementation decreases muscle soreness by 35%. As well, athletes with a high omega-3 intake experience less swelling and an increased range of motion after a workout.
Increased fat burning and metabolism: Studies show that omega-3 supplementation combined with exercise leads to increased fat burning in muscles and inhibits fat storage.
Increased mental focus and concentration: Omega-3 has been linked with an increase in clarity, memory, and concentration and can actually help you stay focused and alert.
Improved cardiovascular function: Omega-3 improves heart parameters during exercise by reducing heart rate and improving oxygen delivery to the heart.Continue Reading
To help ensure a safe and happy pregnancy for you and your baby, and so that your child has a healthy foundation to grow and meet all the challenges that life brings, I’ve compiled a list of 8 tips for a healthy pregnancy. These lifestyle changes can (and should) begin before you decide to become pregnant, but if you are already pregnant, simply adopt as many of these steps as you can.
1. Stay Active
Exercise is good not only for mothers-to-be, but also for their developing babies. Studies show that women who exercise at the same rate throughout their pregnancies have larger placentas than their more sedentary peers. Why is that important? Well, the volume of the placenta is a general marker of its ability to transport oxygen and nutrients to your baby. Research has also shown that exercising during pregnancy can benefit a mother’s own heart and her developing baby’s heart as well.
If you’re having a normal, healthy pregnancy you can continue to do just about any exercise that you enjoy, as long as you follow the most important principle: listen to your body. If something doesn’t feel right, don’t do it (remember: pregnancy is not the time to set any records or run any marathons.)
2. Reduce Toxins
Reducing your exposure to toxic chemicals during your pregnancy is important for the health of you and your little one. Food and Drink: the easiest way to avoid toxins is to eat organic as much as possible. Also, avoid BPA and try to reduce any canned foods. Personal Care Products: avoid using any product that lists “fragrance” or “parfum” as an ingredient. Luckily, there are now many products that are scented with natural essential oils. Cleaning: Use natural cleaning products. These include vinegar, essential oils, baking soda, and castile soap.
3. Eat Whole Foods
This website continues to grow well beyond my expectations. The best part is, the growth has occurred entirely from the support of readers like you. A special thanks to each of you for sharing this website and the articles on it. But even more than that, thank you for sharing the life-changing message of natural health and chiropractic care.
Here’s a trip down memory lane of True Health’s top 10 blog posts viewed this year, judged by page views:
1. Is Your Spine In Line? Ever wonder how to tell if your spine is out of alignment. This post offers a look at 15 warning signs of an unhealthy spine.
2. Breastfeeding Is ‘Health, Not Lifestyle’ Choice This post includes a graphic that lists the benefits of breastfeeding as well as the role chiropractic care plays in optimal breastfeeding.
3. Sharpen Your Child’s Mind If your child is having difficulty concentrating at school, often seems lethargic, or is constantly frustrated with trying to learn, the following tips can help you address the cause and offer natural solutions.
4. The TrueHealth Grocery List This is a list of nutrient dense, fresh, whole (or in some cases minimally processed) foods which promote optimal health. The post includes a printable PDF version to bring with you on your next grocery trip.
5. Alkaline vs. Acidic Our body has a desired state of slightly alkaline, but most Americans eat a diet full of acid forming foods. Here is a basic list of alkaline and acidic foods as well as a detailed chart.
6. The Core Four This is an explanation of the four supplements that everyone (men, women, and children) should be taking. These are supplements that will actually improve your health and well-being if taken on a regular basis.
7. I Don’t Believe in Chiropractic There are many people out there that question the notion that chiropractic is a viable health care tool. This post takes a closer look at what chiropractic is.
8. Are Baby Carriers Good For the Spine? Many new parents are unsure as to how to carry their newborn, especially when it comes to how it may affect their developing spines. This post explores the best way to carry based on anatomy and neurology of the infant.
9. Lower Blood Pressure Naturally A chiropractic adjustment of C1 can significantly lower high blood pressure (This adjustment has the effect of not one, but two blood-pressure medications given in combination).
10. How to Beat Seasonal Allergies Naturally Seasonal allergies are far from normal, and the fact that they are so common means that many do not have an optimally functioning body. Here are some tips for beating allergies this and every spring without relying on pill popping
Whether you’ve been reading True Health for one week, one month, or since we started two years ago – thank you. This blog owes its success to the support of its readers.
I should start off by saying that I am not in any way, shape or form anti-supplement. Supplements are a great tool and they serve many people well, especially when used appropriately. But here’s what I don’t understand. People are slowly moving away from treating every minor ailment and condition with a prescription drug (which is great). However, many are replacing pharmaceuticals with natural supplements – which are sadly doing the same thing (albeit usually in a safer way). They are simply treating symptoms and covering up the problem, never truly getting to the cause.
As a chiropractor my viewpoint may be different. After all, our profession was founded on the idea of getting to the cause – we focus on creating health rather than managing disease. I would never associate health as something that could come out of a pill or bottle whether they were natural or not), but as something that is experienced from the inside-out. When it comes to nutrition – the right food turns on the right genes, and create biological signals that create health, while the wrong foods turn on genes that cause disease and create biological chaos.
With that being said, have you been in a health food store recently? Standing in line you can see people whose shopping cart is covered with no less than 30 boxes of different herbs, vitamins, and supplements of all kinds. B-complexes, Glucosamine, Licorice, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Ginko, Garlic, and St. John’s Wort just to name a few. While this is certainly an extreme example, it’s not as rare as you might think.
We have the power to determine how healthy our cells are by the choices we make with our bodies. Our bodies are equipped with an incredible ability to go towards health when it’s supplied with the right building materials. If your cells are like houses, the quality of the cell is dependent on the building materials which are found in our food.
Taking vitamins have become an extra job for some, here’s how to avoid it:Continue Reading